Thursday, October 13, 2011

My New Secretary

Yesterday Joseph (let me remind you - three years old) and I were sitting and eating lunch, watching some afternoon PBS.

He was sitting right next to me, playing with my new phone. Suddenly, I hear my mother-in-law's voice.

"Hello, Nicole".
"No, it's JJ"
"AAAAYYYY chiquitito, pedrazo de que que que... como estas nino bonito, hermoso... (Honestly I have no idea what she is saying...)"
"Hi Tita,... you go in your van, you come to my house, you ring my door and I will open it and you take me to McDonald's"
"Aye chiquito, you come over to my house"
"No, Tita, you come to my house, you take me to McDonalds"
...
fast forward about fifteen minutes... when despite all of the plans I had for the day - I am at Tita's house... with Joseph.


I complained to his father about his new found ability to undermine my parenting, my plans... my ability to cook... Guero laughed.


At about seven p.m., I called somebody on the Stake High Council that I barely know. He is in another ward, and I can just say that I have a great deal of respect for him and his wife...

He was not home, but his wife said that he would TRY to call me back before 8:30.


Guero got home at 7:45, and we were busy. I made him some sandwiches, we talked and watched our show. At 8:15 the phone rang twice, and then that person hung up.


By the time I got up to get the phone, it was no longer ringing. Since I was up - I started the washer, the dryer, the dishwasher... we locked up, and I went upstairs to put the kids to bed.

When I went in Karina's room, we put fresh sheets on her bed (her bunkbed - took extra time) I tell you this just to illustrate how much time passed after the phone ringing)


Finally, I got to JJ's room. I picked up some toys, and got him ready for bed. I could clearly see something under the sheets - it was the house phone!


If there is a soundtrack that plays in the background of my life... cue the tires screeching or the Psycho music.


"Joseph, did you pick up the phone when it rang?"
"Yes, Mommy"
In my head... I'm thinking, "NOOOOO!!!!" (but by that time Guero was already sleeping, Karina was down for the count... and I am too pooped to punish)
"Son, who was it?"
"It was Daddy"
"Son, it was not Daddy. What did you say?"
"I said, HIIIIIII Daddy, when are you coming home?"
I checked the caller I.D. - and sure enough - Anonymous Stake High Council Person that I do not know.. from another ward... had called at 8:15. It was now 8:49. Too late to call back and attempt to redeem myself.


Strangely, my secretary and my mechanic work for chicken nuggets.


You get what you pay for, I guess.

No comments: