Friday, July 3, 2009

RIP Jiminy

Here is the difference between Karina and JJ.

While I am quietly reading in another room, I hear Karina.
A terrified, ear-piercing shrill comes from the bathroom downstairs.
"MOOOOOOOOMMMY!!!"
I, of course, went running to the bathroom. I was thinking, "what could possibly go so wrong in the bathroom when you are only five?"

As it turns out, there was a cricket on the floor and she was afraid to dismount... for fear the cricket might jump on her?

Taking into consideration that, I too, am petrified of crickets... I tried to remember to be calm. I silently reminded myself, "I am the adult here." I am also attempting to teach her not to be so barbaric. Everyday we get out of the car and come up the walk, she is looking for a bug to smash. She feels the need to kill at least one, to satisfy her fear of them.

I tell her every day, "Buds, why do you have to kill them? They are good bugs. They are not hurting you. Why do you have to hurt them?" (She can worry about pest control, and eco-friendliness, and horticulture when she is six)

So I show her how to shoo the cricket away from her, so that she can safely exit the bathroom (that bathroom is WAY too small to stop and wash her hands, she had to run to the kitchen sink to take care of that).

"Daddy will take the cricket outside when he gets home"

fast forward about thirty minutes.

I am scurrying around the house, picking up items disbursed by JJ, and returning them to their rightful place. (Somehow he decided to deliver the empty bathroom trash can to the living room.) I go into the bathroom downstairs, and he follows.

Behind my back I hear JJ say very enthusiastically, "HI!!"

I turned around to see a horrific site. He was squatting down attempting to catch the abomination in the bathroom with his tiny baby fingers. Before I could think to stop him (because that is DE-SGUST-TING!) JJ won.

I surely hope the poor thing died of a heart attack before his guts were squished out.

2 comments:

ktucker said...

Once again you have done it! Great storytelling! Good thing JJ is around to take care of you girls! I unfortunately have taught my boys to fear insects right along with mommy. Perhaps this comes from stories of my mom checking pockets and finding dead baby lizards and stink bugs in my brother's pants. YUCK!

Kimberly said...

classic!