Monday, February 23, 2009

and the time is 3:41 a.m.

My sister-in-law, Jessica posted that reading list from the BBC that has been going around the blogosphere.

It is a list of 100 books, mostly classics. The BBC reports that most people have only read as many as six of those books.

Apparently I have much reading to do because I have only read 17 of the 100 books listed.

In my defense, that seems to be fairly average compared to many of my friends that have posted their own lists.

In my offense, it annoys me that "The Agony and the Ecstasy" by Irving Stone was not on that list. I read it for my high school English class and it should count as two books - one for it's length and one for it's painfully boring content. The book is all about the Agony of having to read it to write a reasonable paper on it and the Ecstasy of getting a C.

I really love to read. But it seems like lately the only things that will capture my attention are those shiny magazines. I have not made room in my schedule for my old friend the book. I have been uninspired.

I have horrifying news. The next few sentences are not for the faint of heart... so you may want to look away. A friend of mine, incredibly excited about Twilight, urged me to borrow her very precious copy and read it... then call her in the morning and tell her what I thought. I read the first three chapters that night. The next day... I could only do three more. Then I was done. While I was reading it I found it very easy to think of other things I should be doing instead. Not a good endorsement from me.

Of course, Until I have whittled down that BBC list a bit, I have little credibility.

I have started reading with the Book Club in my ward. The first two selections were good. Last month we readNow this book... I loved. This was a fabulous story. I could not put it down.

A very generous friend loaned me the sequel.

So good, in fact, that I am up at 3:41 to get some work done in the house (and apparently on my blog) so that I can read more during nap time.

2 comments:

kate said...

seriously? you got up at 3:30 in the morning to get stuff done so you could read that during nap?! that is incredibly impressive, seriously, if i really wanted to read something i would just neglect what needed to be done and read during nap anyways. i'm impressed.

Maren said...

I loved these is my words! I could not bring myself to read the next ones in the series I was happy with how her story ended in the first (well not happy but, at peace with).