I went to Catholic school. There was a really mean old nun that taught us history.
School was held in this very old schoolhouse building on Long Island. In it
there were huge windows with thin glass and wooden frames. (in my memory they are ten feet tall). Outside those windows was a fairly busy street.
I will never ever forget this day. It has stuck with me for my entire life.
One day as we were sitting in class, an ambulance went speeding by. Lights flashing. Sirens blaring. What a nuisance.
The mean old nun stopped what she was teaching. She had us say a prayer.
Yes, this was a minor distraction from the boring history lesson for us. But for somebody else - even if only scared enough to call an ambulance, but otherwise completely ok - they will never ever forget this day, and that is important.
I totally get it.
Maybe pulling over means something more spiritual than just yielding to a speeding fire engine.
Maybe there are days we should pull over in life... to say prayers for lives that have changed irrevocably by this... thing.
p.s. It is Friday. I still love Fridays.
LEWIS and CLARK & CO.
2 days ago






3 comments:
Quite profound, my sister. I still remember being told by Ms. Livingston that when we hear/see an emergency vehicle, that person is in need of a prayer and at minimum- we owe them a sign of the cross. Still do it to this day...
my mom grew up in long island too! but she was jewish...thanks for this post, you make a good point!
Wow! So deep!!
Post a Comment