Tuesday, August 11, 2009

An Ode. To being a Newlywed

It has been eight years, and this marriage is not new anymore.

Karina has learned that "Daddy Stinks!", even when he doesn't, that seems like the appropriate thing to say.

JJ not only calls Daddy, "Babe!", but he does it in an annoyed, nearly exasperated, demanding tone... and it sounds a lot like he is yelling to him from another room.

8 years ago today... we stopped sharing blankets. We bought a bed so big that there is a climate change from one side to the other. We regulate our own body temperatures in this house!

7 years ago... we (which really means HE) stopped being discreet.

6 years ago... we (which really means ME) stopped kissing before teeth-brushing in the morning.

5 years ago... we stopped finishing each other sentences. We started just enjoying the moment of peace and quiet instead.

4 years ago... HE stopped wearing his wedding ring. After a tragic incident, which resulted in the ring being cut off of his finger. He thinks I don’t know, but I Know - he believes not wearing it helps him get free food at Taco Bell.

3 years ago... We stopped trying to scare the Bishop with tales of couch sleeping, and fake arguments. We are now EXPERTS in the Marriage and Family Class in church.

2 years ago... We stopped bickering about interior decor vs. exterior decor. He now regularly recites the Dr. Phil mantra – “Don’t mess with the nest...” I reluctantly agreed to allow him to plant as many hideous cacti as he wants in the front yard.

One year ago... we stopped the assault on my happiness and freedom - that is being pregnant... so we can get on with the business of enjoying our kids.

I love my husband. Nine years ago we went on our first date, and now today we have been married for eight. On Sunday I stood in the hallway (waiting an hour while he was in a meeting!) while I chatted with a friend. He said, “your husband is a real stand-up guy. He is real salt of the earth. He is a hard worker.” It was not the first time that I heard anybody say this about him. I am positive that it will not be the last. I was so young and naive when we got married. I knew he was good, I could have never dreamed he would be this good.

He always stands up for what he believes in. He never ever compromises when it comes to doing what is right. His testimony is very simple, his work ethic very strong.

He is my best friend and my arch-nemesis. We would not have it any other way.

I love you, hubband. (I know, I know – you love me, too.)

Our Wedding Invitation - photo from our trip to San Diego - nearly nine years ago!

1 comment:

kate said...

so cute! i loved this post and that is SO cute your husband wrote on here too, i loved it!! happy anniversary!!!