Friday, March 6, 2009

A (polished) Silver Anniversary

So I have been the recipient of a lot of really good gifts lately.
I am really pretty lucky to have such good family and friends.

I have posted about that before... I want to repeat all of the awesome stuff that I have gotten - but that would be bragging? Hopefully all of those people know how grateful I am.

THEN...
I got another gift.

I have a friend that I met when I was five. We went to Kindergarten together at the same Catholic school in NY.
We grew up together.
After high school - our two paths split.
We kept in touch a little, but not enough.

Over the past year we have done much better to love one another long distance.
She lives in CO now. We have sent little gifts back and forth and mostly traded stories about the life we have lived so far.

The other day, I got a package. I rushed inside to check it out. She made me a mix tape! Well, how on earth would I play a mix tape? It was a mix CD.

She carefully picked out songs that would remind us of certain times and places from our childhood. It was not just a mix of songs we love, but songs that reminded us of the things that we had experienced. I just had to post it because I think it is a hilarious and eclectic mix of memories. They are not necessarily only our memories... but anybody our age could appreciate this list.

Thanks to the magic of Youtube - wherever possible I included a link where you could hear the song!

1. Move This
2. Blame it on the Rain by Milli Vanilli She knows I hate her for that one!
3. We didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel
4. Walk the Dinosaur - from one of our favorite movies - Can't Buy me Love
5. I think We're Alone Now by Tiffany
6. Pump up the Jam
7. I Want Money
8. Straight Up by Paula Abdul - My friend was also quite the tap dancer herself!!
9. Only in My Dreams by Debbie Gibson (I love this video on Youtube - ya gotta laugh!)
10. Don't Worry be Happy by Bobby McFerrin

Amazing how music can be the tie that binds you to people... and to the past.

1 comment:

kate said...

what a cute friend! and i love the music on there!! by the way, good luck with your new calling-glad it's you and not me!!