Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Carte blanche

In case you have not noticed, we, along with the rest of the entire country are on a strict budget. There are spending limits on top of spending limits in this house. I think I am doing a fair job at keeping it all under control.

I have become a vigilant bargain shopper, penny pincher, coupon clipper. We buy nothing unless it is on sale or has a coupon. I am not impressed with a "fifty percent off" sale. Unless I feel like I stole it (LEGALLY) I cannot feel comfortable buying it.

With that said, my husband is as blind as a bat. He cannot see without his glasses. Whatever his prescription (I know nothing about ophthalmology) he has to wear glasses all day. I have heard the tech at the Lens Crafters at our local mall, say, "Wow, those are some glasses". Now, For the tech to tell him his prescription is high... well, then he must be - blind as a bat.

Every year the subject returns.
"I need new glasses".
This is my philosophy: carte blanche. There are so few things that I will utter those frightening words for.

When it comes to my husband there are only a few things that get that status.
1. Good denim pants. He will ONLY wear Levi's 560's. He needs them for work, and it makes it easier to shop for him. When they go on sale, I buy two pair. I only buy once a year, but I still drop almost 100 bucks on just that one purchase.
2. Good shoes. Ugh. Don't even get me started. It is nearly impossible to find shoes for him, so when he needs them - really you have to settle for whatever you can find - no matter the cost.
3. For Christmas I saw a shirt that he had to have. It was a t-shirt on sale for 38 dollars! 38 dollars! For a t-shirt! He had to have it. Had to. It is black (my favorite color for him), has a cool new superman logo on the front and says "Man of Steel". It was a no brainer. Especially since I had a $20 coupon. Still I paid $18 dollars for a t-shirt! $18 dollars for a t-shirt!

But I digress. Carte blanche and glasses.

I tell him.
husband, you need to buy whatever you love and whatever you need. Don't skimp. They have to be on your face all day every day. They are critically important. I cannot in good conscience, impose budget restraints on something so vital to your daily life.

He does not feel totally comfortable with that rationale. But somehow, he finds the intestinal fortitude and spends and spends and spends. He should. He has to. I make sure it is the one budget request that I never question.

I tell you that, to tell you this:
My kids have been begging for a big cardboard house in the middle of the family room. I said to them, "kids, when I find a coupon for a big cardboard house, I promise you - I will be the first in line."
I contacted all of my friends behind Fry's. None of them knew of a house "for sale".

Then my washing machine died. They saw an opportunity and jumped on it. They played to my weakness.

I caved and bought them this expansive living room mansion...

Fortunately for me, my husband remembered all of those conversations that we had about glasses. When we were at Sears looking for the box, we were lucky enough to find one with a top of the middle of the line washing machine inside.

washing machine: check.
Next item of business... new camera! I wonder, how big is the box for that?

5 comments:

ktucker said...

Good Job mom!!

kate said...

you sound like me, i love couponing! izak's first question when he wants something at the store is, "is this on sale, mommy?" because he knows if it's not, to not even bother asking!

hendywow said...

HEy, I soo enjoy your blog... I'm am glad that you found a box, you should recycle that into a car (BOXCAR) so then your kids can pretend that they are at a drive in movie... Like they know what that is, anyway when they get sick of sitting in the BOX HOUSE, make it a car! yeah

Alison said...

So... where is the picture of the new glasses?

Deidre said...

I love your posts. You are such a witty writer. You should freelance.