Sunday, August 3, 2008

"Bring fifty bucks and something to drink."

Eight years ago, Guero and I went on our very first date.

Our moms set us up for a "blind date" in the back of the chapel. It was after the sacrament meeting on the day that I was confirmed a member of the church.

They were so excited! I was totally embarrassed. I have never told anybody this part of the story before, but I was really hoping that they were talking about the really cute one that just came back from his mission.

My mom, being as forward as she is asks, "Is he nice?" What kind of question is that really?

My mother-in-law, English being far from her first language says, "No".

Later that same day, my mom and I are at home. My mom turns to me and says, "Do you think she understood me?" I knew instantly what she was talking about.

"oh, Obviously not." I guessed that it just did not translate.

MONTHS LATER Guero and I were engaged. He was being his typical irritating self. I turned to my mother-in-law to be and asked, "Why didn't you tell me (that he was so bad, mean, annoying?)"

She says, "I did. Your mother asked me, 'Is he nice', and I said 'no.'"

My mouth dropped. SHE DID UNDERSTAND.

To this day, whenever I complain about something that he is doing, not doing, has done... she just says... "Is he Niiiiiiice???"

The Sunday he asked was a fifth Sunday combined RS and Priesthood meeting. After the meeting in the cultural hall, I met Guero in the back of the room. I had no idea he was funny.

He said, "So, I guess our moms said that I have to take you out".

oh no, he is being forced to do this. How embarrassing. How do I let him off the hook? "Oh, well, we definitely don't have to go!!"

"No, no, it's ok, I haven't been on a date in a while."

ugh.

He says, "So what do you do for a living?"

I said something about working with computers... feeling thoroughly deflated that he clearly has little interest in me.

He asked, "oh, how fast can you type".

Uh, ok, strange question, but safe. "About 45 words per minute".

"You know that you should not show off when you first meet somebody!, You might make them feel bad!"

"OH, uh, I am sorry. Uh, I mean, how many words do you type?

He laughs at me while I feel myself getting nervous-er and nervous-er. Red in the face and totally flustered.

Changing the subject, he says, well, I will pick you up on Friday at 7, bring fifty bucks and something to drink".

???? Yea, it was that awkward.

After that conversation, I thought, "I totally blew it." He seemed annoyed by me and I said everything wrong.

He picked me up and we went to Applebee's on 59th and Peoria. I wore dark jeans, a black top and black slides (gosh I wish those would come back around, I loved thoseshoes!). He brought his entire family. Two sisters, with two husbands and two kids. This was the strangest date I had ever been on. After Applebee's we went to see Space Cowboys at Harkins. I fell asleep.

To this day they still laugh at me, because I totally brought fifty bucks and something to drink.

I doubted he would ever call again. Until the very next day...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She never did give me those $50. In fact now I have to give her all of my $$$. Just to get something to drink. Who's the bigger goob now?
A suffering buy happy husband.

Alison said...

I love that story! And I love how you tell a story!!

Kimberly said...

so sweet I want to puke! :)

BTW, Thanks to the bro in law for the lawn!

Toni said...

You are an amazing storyteller. That was great. Loved it.

Lily said...

Oh my gosh Nikki, Itotally forgot about the $50!!! I do remember the...is he nice part? sorry to say but that is my brother. Your story is better than mine.

Me and Mr. P... said...

Again laughing my head off. Love the sense of humor and thank you for sharing the story!!!