Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Faith is like a little seed

Because this is not a blog for you, but one for my posterity, my posterity needs to hear my testimony of the Lord, and of the Spirit and of some other important things...

So Lily, my lovely sister-in-law, was not due for two more weeks, and even though it is apparently not recommended that you be induced so early, and even though she was not dialated at all whatsoever, her doctor made an appointment and she was set to go. There was a mix-up at the tent (From here on I will call the nameless hospital where she delivered 'the tent', because I fear it has the same facilities that Guero's birth tent in El Paso had... only set up to birth "Easy Bake Ovens" like Lily and my Suegra). They called her a full day early and told her that they were ready for her, she was confused... but agreed to go in a few hours later.

Of course, Lily had an Easy Bake Oven birth. No complications... minimal number of contractions... not a lot of hours in labor... an epidural and a few pushes later and he was forced out of his four star accommodations into the loving arms of a tent employee. She might disagree until the Percoset runs out, but I know... she is smiling, cause she knows I know...

The next day, despite the fact that he had not eaten yet, baby Felix Jr. was set to be released from the tent. The doctor checked him out and said... he was doing just fine, But an astute nurse, on an errand of the Spirit of the Lord rushed baby Felix, Jr. to the nursery with Lalo (my bro-in-law) close behind and a sample... of bodily fluid. The pediatrician in the nursery told the nurse to "call everybody" and turned to Lalo and said, "that is not good." An honest statement which Lalo much appreciated.

By the power of the Priesthood, which he holds, Lalo gave his son a blessing.

Within an hour my newborn nephew was separated from his parents and sent by air evac to Phoenix Children's where they immediately performed a surgery to un-twist a twisted bowel. A condition that grows more deadly by the minute. A condition that the parents of the tiny baby are sure would have been deadly if not for the fact that Lily was induced so early... and for the mix-up at the tent... causing her to deliver even one day sooner than she had planned.

For my part, Vivi and I got to the hospital just in time to sit with Lily and Lalo and wait for the surgeon to return with the news... baby Felix is ok. The doctor was impressed that they "caught it so early" because it was "quite serious". He should be released before next week.

There were many tears to follow... and a few handshakes for the doctor. Then we all crowded ourselves into a tiny room and knelt and said a prayer of thanks to our Heavenly Father for all of the miracles that we had witnessed that day.

So, I am inspired by this hymn from the Children's Songbook today... because my faith is like a mighty oak tree... but it still grows every day.

Faith is knowing the sun will rise, lighting each new day,
Faith is knowing the Lord will hear my prayers each time I pray,
Faith is a little seed, if planted it will grow,
Faith is a swelling within my heart, when I do right I know.

Faith is knowing I lived with God before my mortal birth,
Faith is knowing I can return when my life ends on earth,
Faith is trust in God above, in Christ who showed the way,
Faith is strengthened, I feel it grow, whenever I obey.

4 comments:

Coach B. said...

He is watching over us every day. Your testimony is proof :)

*MARY* said...

Thank you so much for sharing your testimony, as well as this touching story.

ktucker said...

Wow! Nurses are amazing, eh? That is absolutely incredibe the way things worked out! I guess you are forgiven for not calling me today!

Claire said...

Thank you for sharing, I know that it was not for me but for your posterity, but thanks anyway. Love you.